- Ø 9cmCarex morrowii Ice Dance 9 cm potCarex morrowii Ice Dance£4.95Only 7 leftCarex morrowii Ice Dance is evergreen and blooms yellow. The leaves of the Carex morrowii are green and approximately 40 cm.... Learn More
- Ø 9cmCarex Irish GreenCarex Irish Green£5.25Out of stockHardy, evergreen ornamental grass with glossy Irish green leaves, that will provide you with all year round interest. Learn More
- Ø 9cmCarex caryophyllea The BeatlesCarex caryophyllea The Beatles£5.25 As low as £4.99Out of stockThis beautiful ground cover is an interesting plant suitable as a edging plant for moist areas. Also attractive in rock gardens or mixed... Learn More
- Ø 9cmCarex oshimensis EvergoldCarex oshimensis 'Evergold'£4.95Out of stockCarex oshimensis 'Evergold' is a dense evergreen sedge which forms clumps, grown for its attractive variegated foliage, it has narrow arching... Learn More
- Ø 9cmCarex morrowii VariegataCarex morrowii Variegata£5.25Out of stockMorrowii Carex 'Variegata' is a Japanese segge that produces narrow long striped evergreen leaves. A great low border or groundcover, or just in... Learn More
Carex are not true grasses
They are a genus in the Family Cyperaceae and are more commonly known as sedges. They are an undemanding evergreen, perennial ornamental grass that forms low hummocks of striking grass-like, colourful foliage that is often brightly hued or variegated.
For traditional Japanese gardens the low growing varieties such as Evergold are very suited alongside other plants such as Liriope. In mid to late spring many bear brown flower spikes on long stems. These grass-like plants are drought tolerant once established. Sedges are easy to grow and virtually maintenance free but combing through the plants in winter with your fingers to remove any tired or dead foliage will tidy them up.
Sedge plants produce tiny seeds which feed some birds, and many animals use the foliage as shelter. If you don’t want the plant to seed, cut off the seed heads in early spring.