- Ø 9cmEvergreenIlex crenata Golden GemIlex Crenata Golden Gem£5.50Stock 76This unique species of Ilex is also known, as the Japanese Holly is a dwarf growing, ground covering Holly with evergreen round tipped, golden... Learn More
- Ø 9cmEvergreenIlex meserveae Blue PrincessIlex meserveae Blue Princess£5.95Stock 22Ilex meserveae Blue Princess is a blue holly and with green leaves and red berries Learn More
- 20-30cmIlex altaclerensis Golden KingIlex altaclerensis Golden KingSpecial Price £5.20 Regular Price £6.50Stock 100+Holly, Ilex Golden King, has pretty dark green, yellow edged, leaves. It blooms with white flowers and brilliant red berries during autumn-winter.... Learn More
- -20%20-30cmEvergreenIlex meserveae HeckenstarIlex meserveae Heckenstar£7.50Stock 96Holly Heckenstar is a fine new male Holly with bright glossy green, prickly leaves. The male doesnt produce berries but a single plant will help... Learn More
- Ø 17cmStandard Ilex aquifolium Golden KingIlex aquifolium Golden King£19.95Only 6 leftThis Standard Ilex aquifolium Golden King will look fabulous no matter where you choose to put it especially when placed next to a door entrance.... Learn More
- Ø 9cmEvergreenIlex Crenata Green GloryIlex Crenata Green Glory£5.75Stock 50This unique species of Ilex is also known, as the Japanese Holly is a dwarf growing, ground covering Holly with evergreen round tipped, golden... Learn More
- 20-30cmEvergreenIlex maximowicziana kanehirae 9 cm potIlex meserveae Blue Princess£5.95Stock 29Ilex maximowicziana Kanehirae is a very fast-growing evergreen shrub? The leaf of Ilex maximowicziana Kanehirae is not serrated, but shiny dark... Learn More
- Ø 9cm5xIlex Argentea Marginata Hedge x5 x 5Ilex aquifolium Argentea Marginata£22.95Out of stockIlex aquifolium Argentea Marginata is an evergreen shrub with spiny, undulate leaves. This evergreen shrub is pretty and provides colour in winter... Learn More
- Ø 9cmEvergreenIlex aquifolium Argentea MarginataIlex aquifolium Argentea Marginata£6.50Out of stockIlex aquifolium Argentea Marginata is an evergreen shrub with spiny, undulate leaves. This evergreen shrub is pretty and provides colour in winter... Learn More
- Ø 9cmEvergreenIlex verticillata Oosterwijk 9 cm potIlex verticillata Oosterwijk£6.50Out of stockIlex verticillata Oosterwijk is a female plant and bears red berries, the berries can only be seen on the female plants and appear from October to... Learn More
Ilex is pretty and provides colour in winter when it's most welcome!
Almost all Ilex shrubs are either male or female so plant a group of them if you would like them to produce the berries. They are slow growing and easy to grow because they are not fussy about soil, Holly shrubs grow in shade but variegated types needs sunny position to help retain its colour.
They work great as a barrier hedge as its distinctive spiny leaves deter animals and protect birds from predators as they feed on its bright red berries. The berries are mildly toxic to us humans though and will cause stomach upset if eaten.
Young plants transplant better that more mature specimens and will settle into their new position quickly. Ilex shrubs respond well to hard pruning, but best to wear gloves when pruning holly to protect against the prickly leaves.