- 10-15cmBee friendly flowersErica carnea Coll. Pink/Red/White£26.95Stock 11This variety 'Erica carnea' will provide you with colour and interest in your garden or on your patio long after other flowers have faded and the... Learn More
- Ø 9cmErica carnea PinkErica carnea£5.25Stock 57This attactive and durable Heather variety Erica carnea blooms with pink flowers in winter and has a sweet heathery scent. They are native Learn More
- Ø 9cmBee friendly flowersErica carnea WhiteErica carnea£5.25Stock 14Erica carnea is native to the alpine regions of Europe. This variety will provide you with white flowers and plenty of interest in your garden or... Learn More
- Ø 9cmBee friendly flowersErica carnea RedErica carnea£5.25Stock 92Not as fussy with soil as their counterparts, they will thrive in any well drained soil and form a low maintenace ground cover plant. Learn More
- 10-15cm3xCalluna Heather mix x 3£11.95Available again next AutumnCalluna vulgaris, also known as common Scotch Heather is a low growing perennial shrub, it blooms with very long lasting, sweet smelling flowers in... Learn More
- Ø 11cmBee friendly flowersErica Gracilis RedErica Gracilis£8.50Out of stockErica gracilis is a compact shrub with needle-shaped leaves. The leaves of Erica gracilis are dark green but take on a reddish hue in cooler... Learn More
- 20-30cmBee friendly flowersErica Carnea RedErica carnea£6.95Out of stockThis attactive and durable winter Heather variety Erica carnea is native to the alpine regions of Europe. This variety will provide you with colour... Learn More
- 20-30cmErica Carnea PinkErica carnea£6.95Out of stockErica carnea also known as winter heathers are native to the alpine regions of Europe. This variety will provide you with colour and interest in... Learn More
- 20-30cmBee friendly flowersErica carnea WhiteErica carnea£6.50Out of stockThis attractive and durable winter Heather variety Erica carnea is native to the alpine regions of Europe. This variety will provide you with white... Learn More
- Heather Calluna vulgaris Twin GirlsCalluna vulgaris twin Girls£7.50Available again next AutumnCalluna vulgaris, also known as common Scotch Heather is a low growing perennial shrub; it blooms with very long lasting, sweet smelling flowers in... Learn More
Heater are evergreen low maintenance plants
Heaths and Heathers both belong to the Ericaceae family but they are botanically different and are divided into the 2 genus Erica and Calluna genus. They are almost identical with the same shades, form, and growth habits. However it’s the winter hardiness that separates the species apart.
Calluna is differentiated from Erica by its corolla and calyx each being in four parts instead of five. Heathers are cultivars of calluna vulgaris which some botanists have named them as Erica vulgaris AKA Scottish heathers and bloom abundantly in summer forming pretty low mounds in a range of colours. Then you have your true Heaths which belong to the Erica genus and consists of many cultivars such as the Erica carnea AKA Winter Heath which is known for blooming in winter under snow. True Heaths offer a lot more coloured varieties than the usual pink tones of the Heathers.
Another difference between the two is that heaths have needlelike leaves whereas the Heather plants have flat scalelike leaves. Heathers and Heaths enjoy an acid soil so provide plenty of peat containing compost in the topsoil. Trim your Heather Plants directly after the flowers fade away, they re-flower on new shoots, and by trimming the old ones away you will get more flowers.